Admin e-mail notification problem

More
12 years 1 month ago #12332 by Geoff
I have edited config.php to enable e-mail notification of new posts but i can't get it working. My webhost company has confirmed that php.ini has SMPT and port settings correctly set. When i look at the current guestbook seetings in the admin interface it shows Nofity Admin when message posted:Yes and Notify Admin email (current):No even though I have entered an e-mail address in config.php (Other entries such as referer donain show correctly.

Any ideas?
Geoff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 1 month ago #12336 by Pete
The notify admin feature doesn't use SMTP, but uses the built in PHP "mail()" function. Verify with your webhost that they have the built in PHP mail function set / configured.

Pete

DigiOz Webmaster
www.digioz.com

More
12 years 1 month ago - 10 years 8 months ago #12341 by Geoff
Thanks for the clarification. My hosting company switched off PHP mail because of the huge number of spam emails that were being sent out from their server using different spamming scripts with the help of PHPMail function.

However, I am puzzled as to why config.php says the following if Guestbook doesn't use SMTP:
Code:
$notify_admin = 1; // Set "1" to notify administrator through email // when a new guestbook entry is written. // Warning: To use this feature you will have to have // your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini set.

Geoff
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Pete.

More
12 years 1 month ago #12342 by Pete
That's actually left over comment from previous versions that did take advantage of smtp.

Pete

DigiOz Webmaster
www.digioz.com

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds