Upgrading from DigiOz Guestbook Version 1.7.2 to 1.7.3

More
11 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #12434 by Pete
Hello All,

Below is how you can upgrade your DigiOz Guestbook Version 1.7.2 to the newly release version 1.7.3. This release is a security patch that we recommend users apply to their guestbooks as soon as possible.

Steps:
  • Step 1 - Copy the following files from the new zip file found HERE into your current guestbook, replacing the old one:
    • add.php
    • sanitize.php
    • search.php
  • Step 2 - Open the file "config.php". Find this line:
    Code:
    <?php
    Replace it with this:
    Code:
    <?php // Version of this Guestbook --------------------------------------------------------- $gb_version = "1.7.3";
  • Step 3 - Open the file "footer.php". Find this line:
    Code:
    [url=http://www.digioz.com]<FONT class=training face=verdana, arial size=-2>DigiOz Guestbook Version 1.7.2<br>&copy; 2007 DigiOz Multimedia. </FONT>[/url]
    Replace it with this:
    Code:
    [url=http://www.digioz.com]<FONT class=training face=verdana, arial size=-2>Powered by DigiOz Guestbook<br>&copy; 2007-2012 DigiOz Multimedia. </FONT>[/url]
  • Step 4 - Open the file "add.php". Find this code:
    Code:
    if (!isset($error)) {
    Replace it with this:
    Code:
    if (!isset($error)) { include("sanitize.php");
    Fine this line:
    Code:
    $message_log_string = $message_time_log." | ".$message_ip_log." | ".$message_ip_address_log." | ".$yourname." | ".$yourmessage."\n";
    Replace with the following:
    Code:
    $message_log_string = $message_time_log." | ".$message_ip_log." | ".$message_ip_address_log." | ".sanitize_html_string($yourname)." | ".sanitize_html_string($yourmessage)."\n";
    Find this line:
    Code:
    $message_log_string = $message_time_log." | ".$message_ip_log." | ".$message_ip_address_log." | ".$yourname."\n";
    Replace it with this:
    Code:
    $message_log_string = $message_time_log." | ".$message_ip_log." | ".$message_ip_address_log." | ".sanitize_html_string($yourname)."\n";
  • Step 5 - Open the file "search.php". Find this code block:
    Code:
    $search = $_POST['search_term']; // get user search information $pageNum = $_GET['page']; // generated only on multi-page results and selected by user
    Replace it with the following:
    Code:
    $search = sanitize_html_string($_POST['search_term']); $pageNum = sanitize_int($_GET['page'],0,9000); if ($search == "") { $search = sanitize_html_string($_GET['search_term']); }

That's it! You are now upgraded to Version 1.7.3.

Thanks,
Pete

DigiOz Webmaster
www.digioz.com
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Pete.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 8 months ago #12439 by P Wormer
I updated the guestbook software and checked Pete's sanitizing steps of August 16 2012. However, the special characters double quote (") and line break (\n) in the messages are now explicitly listed as &#34; and <br>. When I comment out the assignments $yourmessage = str_replace(..) in the function "clean_message()" the problem is gone. Is it possible that the sanitation is done once too often? Or am I now vulnerable to code injection, after I commented out the cleanup of $yourmessage?

More
11 years 8 months ago #12440 by P Wormer
Sorry, my mistake, ignore previous message. Sanitation was indeed performed once too often, but that was my own doing. At the same time I noticed that single quote ($rep1[3]) is not replaced by &#39; in function "clean_message". Is that OK?

More
11 years 8 months ago #12441 by Pete
Yes, because it is replaced in a different function in the code. You're fine. :)

Thanks,
Pete

DigiOz Webmaster
www.digioz.com

More
11 years 6 months ago #12564 by jr212
Hi,

Is there a way to edit the messages?

Jan

More
11 years 6 months ago #12565 by Pete
Not with the current version, but its in the works for the next version.

DigiOz Webmaster
www.digioz.com

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds